Please write a personal thank you note to the President in the comment section below. Please include your town and state, so the President will see that saving this ocean realm is more than of local interest.
Top Ten Comments
Calling for the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts National Marine Monument,
a wondrous Atlantic Ocean 4,900 square-mile place 130 miles southeast of Cape Cod
(as of November 2015).
10. We only have one planet and it is under assault at so many levels. Please do everything within your power to protect it. Writes Cheryl from Spirit Lake, Idaho
9. Why is our country so ready to destroy our natural places? Now we can’t wait to ruin our oceans! Sometimes I think my government does not care about the beauty and the tranquility of our last wild places whether it’s on land or in the ocean and at beaches! Writes Linda of Burns Flat, Oklahoma
8. We need to preserve fisheries more than we need more sources of oil. Writes William from Whitefish. Montana
7. Seamounts are important areas with congregations of so many varieties of marine life that destruction of them as we have done with mountaintop removal with coal mining is unthinkable. Please protect these four seamounts and the canyons! Writes Susan from Johnsburg, Illinois
6. Just as we save special places on land, we need to be aware of and take steps to preserve special places in the oceans, especially with deep dredging and the damage it does to the ocean floor. Writes Candace from Austin, Texas
5. Because of its most enriching biodiversity, the Atlantic Ocean must be protected at all times. This means absolutely no exploration and production of fossil fuels should take place anywhere in the Atlantic. Please do take the right steps to ensure that the Atlantic Ocean is completely safe for all cetaceans and other marine life. Many thanks! Writes Laurice from Mesa, Arizona
4. I am an environmental science teacher and I want our students to be able to appreciate deep-ocean sea life in their futures. Please help protect this region for our youth. Writes John from Brentwood, California
3. I grew up spending every summer at Cape Cod and I love this area of the Atlantic Ocean. Please protect these silent inhabitants with no voice who reach out to you for help. Do the right thing Mr. President, please. Writes Patricia from Mountain View, California
2. I am very glad to see “tribal members” included in the management. Please protect the oceans. Writes Susan from San Francisco, California
[The Aroostook Band of Micmacs, Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians, Mashantucket Pequot, Mashpee Wampanoag, Mohegan, Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Narragansett, and Wampanoag (Aquinnah) assisted with the ocean planning thanks to the workings of the Presidents National Ocean Council.]
1. We’ve gone to other planets, to space, literally out of this world and discovered the coolest things around. It’s amazing! But the ocean is one of the least explored places that we haven’t really gone deep down to which is funny because it’s literally right there! There is so much to see, so much to discover; it is only fair to recognize a place that holds so much potential! I mean can you imagine the sort of crazy creatures that live under there that we don’t know about yet! Writes Gwen from San Jose CA View Gwen’s hand-written comment to President Obama.
Please comment below why are you thankful that President Obama has forever protected a wondrous ocean place, the Northeast Canyon and Seamount National Marine Monument. The Ocean River Institute bring your comments to the president’s attention in a large thank you letter. When commenting please include your town and state because it takes a nation to responsibly manage an ocean realm.